Friday, September 7, 2012

Summer is now over

I thought it was funny that as soon as September started we started to get colder and crappy weather.  We have had a great summer, but I know I am looking forward to getting back to normal again.  We are going to have a busy school year, but I love being busy and having a routine.  Since I took some time off from my weekly blogging, I have to catch up from the middle of July.

Drew left us home for a week and went to YM CampOne of the traditions that the YM in our ward have is to do a backpacking trip to Mount Robson which is by Jasper.  They hiked I think a total of 52km over 5 days.  Drew said that it was hard, but I don't think they regretted doing it, and once it was over, they were all proud of their accomplishment.
 



And, they only had to airlift one kid out.  

 While Drew was gone we tried to fill in the time as best as we could.  We went to the park, and played at friend's houses.

We went to the Library, and the kids all got Library cards and a bag full of books.  There is a statue of Lois Hole, who our library was named after, sitting on a bench, and the kids always have to go and sit on her knee, and they like to pick her nose too.  I know, boys are weird.  

We also went to the CapitalEx parade downtown.  The kids weren't impressed with it because there was no candy.  It was also very long and hot, so we left early.  


Davis went with his friend to CapitalEx.  Davis' friend's Mom was nice enough to take the boys.  Davis had a really fun time going on all the rides, and playing.  He still talks about how he had the best pizza he's ever had there.  

 It was so great when Drew finally came home. 

At the end of July and the first part of August we went to Southern Alberta for two weeks. The long drive was our best yet because I did most of the driving while Drew slept.  The kids knew that they couldn`t ask me for anything because I was driving, and they couldn`t ask Drew for anything because he was sleeping.  So, they were very quiet.  The one thing we don`t miss at all about southern Alberta is the wind.  It seems like as soon as we hit Claresholm, the wind starts.  We have a big bag that straps onto the roof of the van, and I could hear it being pushed around by the wind.  Drew put it in the middle of the van roof, and by the time we got to Lethbridge it was pushed all the way to the back.  Another reason why the trip was more bearable was that we stopped in Calgary to see Drew`s parents.  Tom was at the Tom Baker Cancer Clinic, so it was nice to be able to visit with them on our way through.  

We couldn`t be in Southern Alberta without going to a small-town parade.  We were able to make it to the Magrath Parade, and the kids were so excited for all the candy.  

 After the parade, we did the traditional lunch at Dave and Bonnie`s house.  We all love going to their house because not only is it beautiful, and I covet Bonnie`s decor, but we are always fed super well, and we all look forward to having gigantic pieces of Bonnie`s famous Carrot and Oatmeal Cake.  I love them.  It is probably a good thing that I don`t have the recipe for the oatmeal cake, or else I would eat it way too much. 

Our last stop in Magrath was visiting with Grandma Wolsey.  We always love to visit with her.  The boys love it because she usually has a secret stash of candy, and a big bucket of Lego. 



We spent our weekends at my parents house, and the kids were able to get lots of quadding in.  Phoenix really loves riding the quads with Grandpa.  Dad would take him on really long rides, and Phoenix loved every minute of it.  I think my Dad did too.  The kids also spent lots of time playing outside.  Phoenix is scared of my parent`s dog, so whenever he wanted to go outside and play, he would ask Marcus to come outside and pet the dog and distract him, so he could get past.  





My Dad was nice enough to bring his trailer to Writing-on-Stone for us to do our Camping Tradition.  It was really hot while we were there, so during the afternoon we would stay in the trailer with the Air Conditioning cranked up, and read and watch a movie, then when it cooled down we would go play in the Hoodoos, and do fun stuff outside.  During our first couple of days, the Cooks from Lethbridge came camping with us.  It was great to see them, and for the boys to have some other boys to play with. 
 One night at the ampitheatre, there was a First Nations lady doing a drumming presentation.  After she was done, she let people come up and try the drum.  The kids thought it was pretty cool.  Especially Phoenix, he didn`t want to give anyone else a turn.  He has told me numerous times that he wants to learn how to play the drums. 










After camping we spent the weekend with my parents.  During this stay we celebrated my Birthday and my Mom`s Birthday. Karen did a great job with everyone`s cakes.  She made me a vanilla confetti cake, with cherry preserves between the layers, cream cheese icing, and handmade gumpaste flowers.  She even let Davis and Phoenix help her make some flowers.  I still dream about how good this cake was.  

 She made Mom these dog cupcakes (I helped a bit, it was so fun).  They were chocolate with a chocolate pudding center, and of course, creamcheese icing.  



When we were down, I really wanted to go out to Jefferson to where my Grammy used to live.  I really wanted to see ``the old house``.  This was the house where my Grandpa Campbell grew up, and where my Mom lived when she was a young child.  





 Our last stop was in Lethbridge.  We had a busy week catching up with family and old friends, and spending lots of time swimming in the pool. 

Taylor thought that the cats at the house were pretty cute.  
Taylor also enjoyed spending time with Daxon.  
Or attacking him.  I think he was scared of her after all the hugging.  Unfortunately she has too many brothers to be scared of boys.  
Drew and Davis went with Keith and Jack camping in Waterton for one night.  They hiked to Bertha Lake, and stayed overnight. 




After Drew got home from his YM backpacking trip, he told me that he kept thinking that the next time the ward does this trip, Davis might be old enough to go.  When I saw this picture this is what I kept thinking about.  Davis is wearing one of the extra camp t-shirts, and he is wearing Drew`s pack that he took with him.  I admit it freaked me out just a little bit. 
 While the boys were gone, the rest of us went to the Coalhurst parade with Mandy and the kids.  It was the perfect parade, it was 15 minutes long, and the kids got lots of candy.  After the parade, the town held a BBQ, with activities for the kids, including a train ride. 
 
Our last night in Lethbridge we did some classic Lethbridge things.  We had Poutine and hotdogs at the Red Dog diner, played in the water at Galt Gardens, and had frozen Yogurt on 3rd Ave.  









The rest of our summer was spent trying to pass the time until school started again.  A few weeks ago NAIT held a Street Fair for NAIT families.  It was a lot of fun.  The kids got to play carnival games, visit a Fire Truck, and hold some guns used by the Canadian military,  and we had some good carnival food.  It was a great way to spend some time together.  






We also had a little fuzzy visitor one night.  Phoenix and Taylor thought it was pretty cool. 




I had the privilege of taking this cute guy out on a date. 


My friend Kristy gave me some massive zucchini, so I have been baking up a storm.  I made 6 loaves of zucchini bread from one zucchini.  


My friend Annelise moved to an acreage outside of St. Albert.  One afternoon we braved the mosquitoes and picked some raspberries to make jam.    The yellow ones aren`t unripe berries, but white raspberries.  They were so good.  Having fresh jam was worth the 5000 bites.  


No comments:

Post a Comment